The Cullinan Petra Daimond mine excursion to see and experience the wonder of Diamonds
We visit the famous Petra Diamond mine which is situated 50 km from Pretoria and has been world famous since 1905 when the worlds biggest diamond was found the 3106 ct. Star of Africa
We hear and see what happened to this famous diamond while on tour of this mine.
Diamonds ,the famous Cullinan cut, may be purchased at the diamond shop on completion of the tour.
- The word diamond comes from the Greek word “adamas” meaning invincible.
- Cullinan Diamond Mine is a carrot shaped volcanic pipe and has a surface area of 42 hectares - about 40 soccer pitches.
- The origin of diamonds creates an atmosphere of mystique and romance.
- The Cullinan Diamond 3106ct was given to King Edward the VII on his 66th birthday from England. The diamond was posted to England under normal package post.
- A diamond is the hardest natural substance known to man (10 on the Mohs scale) where talcum powder being the softest (1 on the Mohs scale) softer than human skin.
- A 1.00ct diamond weighs .2g, the weight of the famous Cullinan Diamond 3106ct was 621.2g
|Duration||Total Distance||Departure Times||Notes|
|5-6hrs||160km||08:30 and 12:30||This is a surface tour only|